Franki wrote on Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 02:59:32PM +0800 :
> breada_readahead        8               0               255             rw
> file_readahead          124             0               16384           rw

Seems like one of these two could be higher.

> io_32bit                0               0               3               rw

Should be able to gain some speed here.

> using_dma               1               0               1               rw

Good.

> nothing in this.. I never edited it.
> [root@home root]# cat /etc/sysconfig/harddisks*
> # USE_DMA=1
> # MULTIPLE_IO=16
> # EIDE_32BIT=3
> # LOOKAHEAD=1

The first line is redundant, but uncomment those four lines and restart
the system (or manually feed them to hdparm on the commandline.  Then
see how it works.

But we've strayed from the original problem.  You have high system load.
Have you been keeping up with the updates?  Do you have a very difficult
or root password or is it something easily guessible by someone who
knows you.  Have you downloaded, compiled, and run chkrootkit?
http://www.chkrootkit.org.

Blue skies...                   Todd
--
...and I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious
 anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my binaries, and you