On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:07:50 -0700, "Lorne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>said:
>On Saturday 23 November 2002 07:24 pm, Matthew O. Persico wrote:
>> On 23 Nov 2002 21:09:25 -0500, "Nelson Bartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>said:
>> >Well if shutdown -h now isn't shutting it down then you most likely
>> >don't have a problem with your linux install. At this point I would
>> >suggest checking your BIOS for power off options, as well as seeing what
>> >the current power save options are at. Check your ACPI options in your
>> >BIOS as well. You will find that XP can shutdown a great many systems
>> >that would not normally shutdown on their own, however linux can
>> >sometimes get hung up little bios glitches.
>>
>> Damn. You mean Billware is better at something than Torvaldsware is? Sigh.
>>
>Well.... not better, just different. :) NT, 2000 and XP all do direct hardware
>access, ignoring CMOS. Or at least it has that ability. I don't think Linux
>does that. So that could explain the problem. Change your cmos settings just
>may solve it.

I'd LOVE to change my CMOS settings. I have an Intel D845HV motherboard. If anyone is
interested, the CMOS settings can be found here:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/hv/A6513601.pdf

If anyone can tell me what to change, then you are much smarter than I am - I do not
see anything that would help...

I'm going to muck with some of the halt settings as mentioned a few messages back in
this thread. If anyone has had any experience with this board and this problem, I'd
love to hear it.

Thanks,

--
Matthew O. Persico