Have you ensured that you have apmd program installed?

man apm
man apmd

Matthew O. Persico wrote:

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:07:50 -0700, "Lorne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>said:

On Saturday 23 November 2002 07:24 pm, Matthew O. Persico wrote:

On 23 Nov 2002 21:09:25 -0500, "Nelson Bartley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>said:

Well if shutdown -h now isn't shutting it down then you most likely
don't have a problem with your linux install. At this point I would
suggest checking your BIOS for power off options, as well as seeing what
the current power save options are at. Check your ACPI options in your
BIOS as well. You will find that XP can shutdown a great many systems
that would not normally shutdown on their own, however linux can
sometimes get hung up little bios glitches.

Damn. You mean Billware is better at something than Torvaldsware is? Sigh.

Well.... not better, just different. :) NT, 2000 and XP all do direct hardware
access, ignoring CMOS. Or at least it has that ability. I don't think Linux
does that. So that could explain the problem. Change your cmos settings just
may solve it.

I'd LOVE to change my CMOS settings. I have an Intel D845HV motherboard. If anyone is interested, the CMOS settings can be found here:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/hv/A6513601.pdf

If anyone can tell me what to change, then you are much smarter than I am - I do not see anything that would help...

I'm going to muck with some of the halt settings as mentioned a few messages back in this thread. If anyone has had any experience with this board and this problem, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

--
Matthew O. Persico