On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 09:46, Mark Chou wrote:

> I've been a Mandrake user for quite some time now, and I'm considering getting a
>nVidia nForce(2) motherboard.  There were rumors that installing Linux (not
>necessarily MDK) on nForce1/nForce2 systems was rather painful, largely due to
>nVidia's proprietary drivers.  (I'm well aware of the oxymoronic nature of pairing
>Linux w/ proprietary driver/HW, but in this case the benefits may outweigh the
>negatives for me.)
>
> I'd like to get some comments from folks who went down this route, and what their
>experiences were.  What are some of the gotchas?

I have installed a number of Mandrake Linuxs on nVidia nForce 1
motherboards, I guess my experiences will be similar..  the nForce chip
mother boards that were used were the ASUS A7N266-VM with built in LAN,
and audio cards. Once Mandrake 9.0 and the nVidia's proprietary drivers
were installed, the performance of the motherboard, LAN and graphics
card was excellent...

On the installation of the Mandrake Linux just install as like any other
PC, till the part were LILO is to be configured, and make sure that the
"mem=" gets added to the append line in the lilo config that is
"mem=(The amount of RAM less how much the Video card uses)" or the
system will cash on the first bootup..   This is fairly easy to do in
Mandrake's GUI setup..    Once the Mandrake is installed and running,
the LAN and sound card will not be working till the the nForce drivers
are installed, the driver is rather small and is easy to obtain off the
Nvidia site http://www.nvidia.com..  just grab the RPM that is made for
Mandrake9 use the command "rpm -ivh" to install the driver..  once done
the sound card and the LAN card will work.. If you like to have good
OpenGL support in your Xwindows then download Kernel Nvidia GeForce
Driver Source RPM and built the RPM using the "rpm --rebuild" command,
as well as the GLX driver..  once built just install them with the "rpm
-ivh" command, and configure the Xwindows like one would do for any
Geforce card.

Just a side note, install "hdparm" and edit the file
/etc/sysconfig/harddisks and uncomment all the lines to switch on DMA
access for the hard drive, it does work well with this switched on.

Cheers
Mark