-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of J. Craig Woods
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 7:32 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Directive Help in Apache

H. Carter Harris wrote:
> I've been fooling with this for several days and I'm not making much
> headway.  I could really use some expert help.
>
> I'm working my way through the ORielly book on Apache and they don't
> set things up like Mandrake.  I don't want to mess up the Mandrake
> conf because I want to go back to it later.  So I have a small website

> setup for testing.
>
> I can't get the DirectoryIndex directive to work.  When I go to the
> website I can't get the index.html page to display unless I type it as

> part of the URL.  For example, I have to enter the URL
> "http://www.domain.com/index.html"; in the browser and I should only
> have to type "http://www.domain.com";.
>
> I have the LoadModule directive in for dir_module and the
> DirectoryIndex was copied from the Mandrake installed httpd.conf.
> Other directives in the conf file work fine.

Mandrake does have its peculiarities when it comes to Apache Web Server.

  What file types are you listing with your "DirectoryIndex"? And what
file is this entry being made in, commonhttpd.conf or httpd.conf ?

drjung
--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX Network/System Administration