Lorne wrote:

So what would be the exact syntax to simply install minicom from /mnt/cdrom? I've tried what seems logical but not mentioned above, including the exact path to the package. Sorry, I'm having a brain fart I guess.
With CD2 in the reader, mounted at /mnt/cdrom, it would be:

urpmi /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS2/minicom-2.00.0-2mdk.i586.rpm

as root, in case you haven't tried that. If your rpm database isn't screwed up, it ought to get done with, as root:

urpmi minicom

One common corruption of the database occurs when files of the form /var/lib/rpm/__db.00* are left behind from a bad exit from one of the rpm processes. If none of these processes is running and you have such files, delete them and run rpm --rebuilddb as root. There is a urpmi howto here: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jwrobinson/docs.html
and man urpmi etc.