On Monday 09 December 2002 07:12 pm, Todd Lyons wrote:
> Lorne wrote on Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 06:44:10PM -0700 :
> > > /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1
> >
> > Believe it or not.... they did not exist until I did a link to /dev/tty/0
> > and /1! ??? They DO exist now, but I'm concerned something is broken on
> > the
>
> devfs autoamtically creates them for you so either:
> 1) devfs is broken on your machine
> 2) you configured it not to start at boot.

Devfs isn't broken. It DOES start on boot as well.
Well what I had after install was /dev/tts which had a 0 and a 1 in it. I had
to create the symbolic of /dev/tts0 and tts1. ?? I dunno man.

The good news is..... drum roll please..... I finally got minicom installed no
thanks to Mandrakes install package. It swears that it doesn't exist along
with dependencies. I had to go back to rpm -i. Boy xminicom sure looks like
the old Telecom program I used to use! Procom? So now I KNOW that my serial
ports are there and seen by a little terminal program. What a pain!

> #2 is really two parts.  passing devfs=mount to the kernel does the
> first part, starting the devfsd service is the second part.
>
> > grep -i /var/log/dmesg ttys
> > grep: ttys: No such file or directory
>
> Ugh, I wrote it backwards.  Sorry.

Well crap!! I wasn't even paying attention to what you said and obediantly
just put in what you said. doh!

grep -i ttys /var/log/dmesg
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A