On Wednesday 11 December 2002 06:28 pm, flacycads wrote:
> I had already removed the fstab entry, and did a shutdown, reboot- problems
> still remain- no rpmdrake functionality, and the weird no access to text
> files- even new ones, except by right clicking and open with.
>
> Here's the mount output- no usb camera connected.
> [wrc1944@localhost wrc1944]$ mount
> /dev/hda12 on / type reiserfs (rw,notail)
> none on /proc type proc (rw)
> none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

As Todd mentioned, the usb dir already exists so the entry in fstab isn't
needed (a Debian thing).

Can you do an "rpm -qa|grep glibc"?  I pull this one out my buttocks as it
doesn't matter which package you look for.  If it is successful, then your
rpm db is OK.  If it fails, you may need to run "rpm --rebuilddb", and a
failure might explain urpmi problems.  I don't understand your problems -
I've never come across anything like that before.

I've had my own problems that pop up at random sometimes: X goes south and I
cannot start up any window manager and have to reconstruct my XF86Config-4
file, KDE wont start so I ultimately delete all my /tmp/ksocket*,
/tmp/orbit*, and /tmp/mcop* directories as well as my .kde directory and
.DCOP* files to get it back (having to reset my preferences).  The closest
I've come to your ownership problem was the perms on all my /home directory
files, etc, got changed from praedor praedor to 502 praedor.  I couldn't
alter any of them (except as root), could edit anything, all my config files
were unusable.  Your perms are really OK?  Your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4?

Before having to reinstall from scratch, however, if I were you, with my
moderate knowledge (enough to cause trouble and _sometimes_ get out of it), I
would save whatever files I wanted to save in my home directory to some safe
location, delete everything in my /home directory, and relogin.  You'll be
redoing all your personal settings but it beats reinstalling (save your
bookmarks, addressbooks, files/docs that are important).

praedor