Gah.  If you have a normal Mandrake install, you shouldn't need to create any
device as devfs SHOULD create devices on the fly for you as a device comes on
line.

I just spotted a link that may get you on your way...try
http://wendy.seltzer.org/vaio/camera.html

Short list of how a G2 was made to work with Debian:

add "none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0" to /etc/fstab

Read the page.