Tom Brinkman wrote:
On Monday December 16 2002 06:09 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:

Civilme should be here on this one.  If you do a search through the
archives for Civilme + Western Digital you'll find a more complete
explanation but if I remember right it has something to do with the
way WD has chosen to not follow DMA standards.  Linux does rather
strict checking and WD doesn't so WD drives can be problematic.

James

Civileme reported that WD's no longer supported CRC checking other that in Windoze. I believe he pronounced them as Win-harddrives.

As an old timey overclocker, we clockers learned to quit usin Western Digital HDD's circa summer 1998. Before that they had a reputation for 'takes a lickin, keeps on tickin' among oc'rs. The issue remains the same, WD's went from being some of the best on an off-spec PCI bus (33.3mhz) ... to the worst.

Civileme, as I relate to his past reports, said it was due to CRC short cuts. To save a few $$'s, WD transfered this from firmware to software. He also reported that WD's response to him was that their drives were not supported under Linux, only Winsux and Solaris by NDA and licensing agreements.

Linkage: http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@linux-mandrake.com/msg60691.html