On Tuesday December 17 2002 01:36 am, Lorne wrote:
> On Monday 16 December 2002 10:47 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >    Civileme, as I relate to his past reports, said it was due to
> > CRC short cuts. To save a few $$'s, WD transfered this from
> > firmware to software. He also reported that WD's response to him
> > was that their drives were not supported under Linux, only Winsux
> > and Solaris by NDA and licensing agreements.

> What a crock! I guess you get what you pay for eh? I thought
> 180GB's for $179.00 was too good to be true. Well I guess I'll
> through it on my XP box and take a real drive and put in my linux
> box. Guess I've learned a lesson.

    It'll only last moments ;)  The whole hardware deal (PC's) is
gettin to be a joke. One the big iron guys have always joked about.
Desktop hardware was an increasingly progressive target a few years
ago. Was startin to look real good. Lately, despite M$'s problems,
and the DoJ (even EU) perception that Billy's major crime was knee'n
NutScrape in the ba__....  well... he's prevailin anyhow.  He's
killed a lot of hardware, other than if you want to use it with his
software.

   In my perception it's been M$'s influence on hardware that's their
_real_crime_.  More'n more of it is becomin software dependant....
win-modems, win-harddrives, win-sound, win-printers, win-video, etc.,
even lately, win-motherboards.  Linux users gravitating towards an
acceptance of any hardware that needs proprietary closed source
drivers to work, or work fully ... are sheep being led to slaughter.
Even when it's called lin-hardware, or at least made somewhat usable
(eg, lin-nvidia). They're just vendor captive users, and add to the
ultimate problem.

   BTW, I gave $120 for a 80g Maxtor recently.  Several years ago an
admission of buyin a Maxtor on an oc'rs group would have brought
deserved ridicule an laughs ... lately I can't find anything better.
It's gettin harder. Billy has lost a few battles lately, taken a draw
in others, but he's winning the war when he controls hardware. Mostly
not his own efforts, but due to user acceptance, apathy, and
ignorance.  Ignorance of the fact that if it needs proprietary closed
software, when it shouldn't, to fully function,
 ... it's fake-hardware.  Acceptance and apathy follow hand'n hand.