On Sunday 22 December 2002 08:53 am, Praedor Atrebates wrote:
> Ah, with it now too late ya'll have made me regret buying MDK 9.0.  I
> bought it when it was first released but quickly cancelled the order when
> the list of problems began quickly stacking up.  Then with some of the
> difficulties I was having with a few items (mainly kde 3.0.x) on 8.2, I was
> convinced to go ahead and go to 9.0 but to upgrade immediately to a Cooker
> kernel to avoid the 2.3.19 problems (supermount, usb).  I have since
> learned that the Cooker kernels have new problems of their (particularly,
> it seems, with regards to usb and the atmel wireless driver).  Then there
> are these problems with the software manager.
>
> So much to look forward to (not).  I get saddled with 9.0 on Monday (when
> the package will arrive).  Has anyone looked into the possibility of
> forward-porting 8.2 stuff into 9.0?  That is, eliminating the 9.0 software
> manager and compiling/installing the 8.2 software manager in its stead?  As
> it is, with the Cooker kernel problems I am looking at having to build/use
> the 8.2 kernel to ensure my wireless device works as well as supermount.
>
> praedor

Goodness, I hope not. :)

The only problem so far has been with urpmi and Software Manager, important
though that is.

This distro is the first that flawlessly installed my sound card properly (I
didn't have to spend half the day getting noise from the speakers), found the
right printer instead of the printer family (HP Deskjet 695C instead of HP
Deskject 690 family) and actually set up the ISP without a whole lot of
bother.

I agree that 8.2 and 7.2 were virtually flawless and I expect that 9.2 will be
wonderful too.  But for most of my uses so far it's a dream.

Now if I could only figure out what a M$ "security" patch did that has blown
that machine out of the water so that it won't connect to Samba or the
Internet.  But I'll save that for another thread.

Thaniks everyone. :)

ttfn

John