On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 23:15, Philip Webb wrote:
> 021221 John Wilson wrote:

> > The installation manager keeps telling me
> > that uninstalled packages are already installed.
>
> you have to do something like 'urpmi-update' or '-rebuild'.

That never worked for me, nor did rebuilding the rpm database, which was
another suggestion. Having had a bit of a mental breakdown the other
day, out of sheer frustration, following which I posted a bit of a rant
(apologies for that, everyone) I solved the problem by doing a really
minimal reinstall, removing the CD installation sources from Software
Manager, and then replacing them with a variety of sources configured
from http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php ( a great utility, in my
opinion). I then installed the latest versions of everything I wanted.
Things have been fine since - and I've even now got mplayer installed,
which started this whole thing off for me.

David