Jack Coates wrote:
On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 22:57, James Sparenberg wrote:

I've got to put in my 2 cents here.  For me... 8.2 bit bad.  Why, I was
running i810 and i815 chipset motherboards and having all kinds of
stability problems with 9.0 these boxes have all been rock solid.  any
funky hassles I've had have been either due to pushing the box too hard
or trying to do something I shouldn't have been trying to do. Not due to
a weakness in 9.0.  Actually I've found it to be the most solidly tested
version since 7.0.  Yes there are problems with programs that run ON
Linux.  KDE - Gnome - etc etc.  Many of these aren't so much MDK
problems as just... problems.  If you ever want something that will
drive you nuts trying to get it to do what you want... try RH 8.0...
Blue blows.

James

Heck, I haven't even touched the new distro or the new GUI -- but I do
have to work on a number of RH 7.x servers, and man do I miss urpmi. I
also think Mandrake RPMs are generally better put together. That is,
less likely to be broken and more likely to have the configure options I
wanted.
In response to James...I've noticed the exact opposite. I'm so fed up with trying to do server with 9.0 I've vowed it will never see any more of the servers I administrate. Whether at home or at the office. 8.2, on the other hand works exceptionally as either a workstation or a server. 9.0 does just dandy as a workstation, but there appears to be a lot needing attention when it comes to the server end. Networking is at the top of the list right now.

Mark