On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 17:39, J. Grant wrote:
<snip>
> > I don't know.  Maybe we need to go with SuSE's model and allow a one ISO
> > demo a few months after release to prevent people from doing this.
> >  Then again, who wants to see Mandrake become another SuSE?  I think the
> > fact that Mandrake does this is, again, it's greatest strength and I'd
> > hate to see that change as I think it would change the entire philosophy
> > of the company.  So is that really an option?  I hope not.
>
> I noticed this issue, it is confounded by the fact that mdkstore
> releases are upto 1 month after the free (as in beer) downloads that I
> often have to take (even though i have an order in the post).
>
> Others might just not bother with the purchase of a box set if they
> download it, i've downloaded ISO's for several releases.

I really don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from glossy cardboard boxes,
fancy silkscreening on the CD, or enough paper documentation to slap the
nearest MCSE silly with... I'll be downloading ISOs or buying burned
ISOs from cheapbytes.com exclusively. I am perfectly willing to accept a
rate-limited download though, which might help with the bandwidth cost.

> If mdk can either speed up the release of cds in the shop or delay the
> ISO download release they can make 20% more cash I am sure.

I really think they need to improve the icon set, I'm sure that a
flashier default icon set would improve cash flow by 14.6562144% in the
first three months (not including February in this analysis) :-)

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...