Le mer 08/01/2003 à 19:56, Dan Axtell a écrit :
> I'm planning to upgrade my motherboard/CPU combo to an Athlon XP system.
>  I'm not looking for overclocking or onboard sound & video (all the
> networking, sound and graphics will be using existing boards), just a
> solid, reliable motherboard that works well with Mandrake 9.0  Any
> recommendations?

Nothing really specific. I have an MSI KT3 Ultra and it works fine
till now (w/ XP 2000). I had an Athlon 700 before and the new system
is really much more responsive. The CD writer problem I mentioned
a few days ago probably has nothing to do with the motherboard.
If you are using Gnome & KDE apps I also advise use to take much RAM.
512 Mb is perfect, with 256 Mb you may experience some swapping
(e.g. if you have Evolution, Gimp, Mozilla and Cervisia open at the
same time ; my old setup had 192 Mb). If you just buy CPU, RAM
(take DDR 2700) and motherboard, it should cost you less than 400 Euro,
I think.

On the other hand, if you want the cutting-edge stuff, nForce2
chipsets seem to be the most you can get nowadays.

Regards

Antoine.