On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Steffen Barszus wrote:

> I know 3 people who run instantly into problems with these board I would never
> ever advice an ECS k7s5a. MSI kosts a buck more, but I think it is worth the
> money. And the k7s5a is not the cheapest board, I know of one board for 67
> EUR => KT266A chipset DDR/SDRAM and so on. I don't remember the name right
> now, but I can ask if needed.

The original revs had several problems. If anyone decides to get this
board it's important to get the rev 3.1 or there will be problems with
stability, sound and the onboard NIC. During my research for this board
I did run into a lot of disgruntled users of this board, but this has
lessened considerably and most of the recent reviews are positive.

The Mandrake 9.0 I'm running on the K7S5A has an Athlon 1800XP, NVidia
GeForceMX200 (the cheapest one), Linksys NIC since I didn't opt for the
onboard NIC, and onboard sound.

As for MSI, I've had lots of bad luck with some earlier SlotA boards
(10/10 failed) and have since stayed clear of them. Have you had
experience with the MSI board? I'll keep them in mind for the next bulk
purchase.