On Wednesday 08 January 2003 21:54, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Guy Van Sanden wrote:
> > I have a ECS K7S5A based on the Sis 735 chipset, very good stuff.
> > It's by far the cheapest board arround here in Belgium (costs about half
> > of the second-cheapest).
>
> I have four of these. The rev 3.1 boards have been great except for one
> losing the second IDE controller. The PC Chips 830LR is an identical
> board and may be a few bucks cheaper.
>
> The only downside to this board is the number of SDRAM/DDR slots. It has
> two of each, but they cannot be used simultaneously. It does allow you
> an easy upgrade path since your old SDRAM will work.
>
> > Performance is very good, and stability is excellent.  Apart from me, I
> > know 3 other people that own one and they're all happy with it.  2 of
> > them are also running Mandrake 9 like me.
> >
> > The board has LAN onboard, which is very good, it is faster than the
> > Intel 10/100 PCI NIC I had before.  If I'm not mistaken the better
> > performance of the onboard NIC is achieved because it doesn't have to go
> > through the PCI bus (I could be wrong here).
>
> It also has onboard sound. One minor problem shows up because it's
> locked to a certain frequency (I forget the particulars). MP3 playback
> is fine, but certain applications that make assumptions about the
> frequency will be chipmunked and high-pitched. Notably, the crossover
> plugin will play Quicktime sounds incorrectly. Trying to rip DivX using
> some encoders will require futzing with the audio encoding rate. Since
> the OP is using a soundcard this is probably a non-issue.

I know 3 people who run instantly into problems with these board I would never
ever advice an ECS k7s5a. MSI kosts a buck more, but I think it is worth the
money. And the k7s5a is not the cheapest board, I know of one board for 67
EUR => KT266A chipset DDR/SDRAM and so on. I don't remember the name right
now, but I can ask if needed.

--
counter.li.org : #296567.