On Thursday 23 January 2003 07:41 pm, jerry wrote:

well i finally found the problem.
the main problem was the permissions on /var/lib/mysql

after pouring over the post install instructions in the manual, and after
searching for my error, i found this:

when mysql rpm's are installed:
/var/lib/mysql ... is owned by root and group root

after changing the owner and group to mysql in recursive mode
it came up.

you never know how the simplest things can be overlooked so easily.
now it comes up fine even at boot time.

one of the posters in this thread mentioned my.cnf
and i didn't have one. so i snooped around (did a locate for .cnf)
and found 6 different my*.cnf files
so I chose one and copied it to /etc

so there were 2 problems (the first one kept me from running mysqld)
probably would have run without the my.cnf, but probably not.

GOOD, now I can begin.

thanks to all who helped.

jerry

--
Why is everything made of Lycra Spandex?