On Fri Jan 24, 2003 at 11:15:03PM -0600, jerry wrote:

> well i finally found the problem.
> the main problem was the permissions on /var/lib/mysql
>
> after pouring over the post install instructions in the manual, and after
> searching for my error, i found this:
>
> when mysql rpm's are installed:
> /var/lib/mysql ... is owned by root and group root
>
> after changing the owner and group to mysql in recursive mode
> it came up.

Right!!  Now I remember... =)  Yup, this is the fix.

> you never know how the simplest things can be overlooked so easily.
> now it comes up fine even at boot time.
>
> one of the posters in this thread mentioned my.cnf
> and i didn't have one. so i snooped around (did a locate for .cnf)
> and found 6 different my*.cnf files
> so I chose one and copied it to /etc
>
> so there were 2 problems (the first one kept me from running mysqld)
> probably would have run without the my.cnf, but probably not.

You don't need a my.cnf.  I don't use one (never have) and have never
had a problem because I don't have one.  Mind you, MySQL may not be
optimized without it, but it isn't necessary for it to run.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"