On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 16:01, Ron Stodden wrote:
> James Sparenberg wrote:
> >   Specifically what updates clobbered you?  I've not had this problem on
> > any of my 9.0 boxes but then I might not have the same software
> > installed you do.
>
> My goodness, how would anyone possibly know?
>
> There are presently 180 9.0-update RPMs.    I would have installed about
> one third, so you must see that I would not be prepared to conduct
> the enormous amount of research to find out which, and then possibly
> to discover it is not one but some combination.

I'll take a stab in the dark and say it's KDE-related, since I haven't
seen the problem and haven't applied the KDE patches. These always fail
(two laptops and a desktop):

arts-1.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdeadmin-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdebase-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdebase-nsplugins-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdegames-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdegraphics-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdegraphics-devel-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdelibs-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdemultimedia-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdemultimedia-devel-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdenetwork-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdenetwork-devel-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdepim-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdesdk-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdetoys-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
kdeutils-3.0.5a-1.1mdk
libarts-1.0.5a-1.1mdk

> That's inescapably Mandrake's job.     N'est ce pas?

Yes, but... the fact remains that they still do better at it than any
other RPM-based distribution I've tried. That said, I feel your pain,
because the update process is certainly far from perfect. I'm finding
the build-from-source distributions pretty tempting these days, and the
only thing that keeps me with Mandrake is the ease of installation and
package management. Package management inevitably gets uglier as the
distribution release gets older, presumably because limited QA resources
are pulled off to work on the latest and greatest.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...