On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 22:07, civileme wrote:
> On Monday 03 February 2003 07:28 pm, Michael Holt wrote:
> > 5:42pm, civileme mused:
> > > Well google around and you can find scdbackup which is oriented toward
> > > 650Mb disks.  And I have tested it to work on 9.0 with supermount
> > > disabled, and a $25.95(US) CDRW drive which is rated 4x4x24  Even with
> > > that, the drive barfs on CDRW media, even for blanking, with 9.0
> > >
> > > DO NOT USE CDRW media for this either--most of it is 650 and there are
> > > MANY supposed CDRW drives which will not work with CDRW media of the more
> > > modern flavor or insist on trying to treat all the CDRW media as 700Mb
> > > capacity.
> > >
> > > Civileme
> >
> > Is this something mdk specific or is it just a feature not available to
> > the linux community yet?  RW's have been out so long, I just assumed that
> > the technology had been stablized by now.
> >
> > Thanks Civileme!  Mike
>

> Umm, I just moved the Acer Drive to my son's computer (he uses the
> unmentionable system in its latest incarnation) and it behaves the
> same--choking on CDRW disks, so I imagine it is unresolved hardware issues
> with the druive hardware and the brand of media (one style did not throttle
> the drive)
>
> So it aint even linux-specific....  Just one of those things that you never
> know til you test.  I have a Wearnes 4x2x24 that works acceptably and a
> no-name that does 700Mb media perfectly either CD-R or CDRW, but won't touch
> 650s at all and it is rated 40x12x48 (and that one made me a religious buyer
> of very cheap CD-Rs cause backing up a 40G disk using it is not a wasted day)

Civileme this brings to mind what I'm trying to instill in my dev teams
now.  If you say Nobody will...... somebody always does.  They Said
nobody will ever want a 650MB blank when 700MB blanks exist... and I'd
be willing to be that the firmware assumes 700 because it was easier and
faster to write.

(BTW it's nice to see your sig on the list again.)

James