On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 19:08 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Talking of which - do you know any site with information on the different
> grades of media, with regard to lifespan.  I'm careful with storage, but I'm
> aware that the media I'm using are not really suitable for longer storage.  I
> just don't know how to choose the right ones.

I don't have a link but there is one important factor:
CDs also are vulnerable by wrong or careless handling. Don't ever
touch the surface with your fingers because this leaves tiny fat
particles. Store them in a dark room with medium temperature and low
humidity. best bet were the cased media but I doubt there are any more
drives for cased media.

Only under these conditions you can think of "real" storage time like
> 10 years. I still have a set of 5.25" floppies with some dbaseIII
data on them. They are still readable after 11 years due to good
handling. Of course I have transferred the data to CD now but I'm just
curious how long those floppies will last.

wobo