civileme wrote:

Then one day I arrived at work to find the fileserver unresponsive. I eventually powered down and found the disk would not boot and enough of it was corrupted to make the rest inaccessible. OK no problem, data is on tapes, let's reload OS--- done reach for tape

Oops--tape is unreadable
reach for two week old tape--Errrr gee that one is no good either
Tapes sent to data recovery service--well whattayaknow They charged quite a bit to give me the bad news that six years of work was lost.
That's what the verify feature of your backup program is there for.
It take twice the time and it'll probably cause more wear and tear on the tape but at least you'll know the tape is readable.

Bye

--
Luca Olivetti
Note.- This message reached you today, it may not tomorrow if you