On Wednesday 05 Feb 2003 1:42 pm, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 13:03 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Tell me more - you're umounting from c/l I take it?  I have noticed that
> > sometimes it can get picky (I'm normally in gui mode) if anything is
> > reading the directory tree and may be reading the cds directory also.
> > That just means that I  have to be careful that I have no Kinq windows or
> > terminals that might by using it - no prob once I realised.
>
> This reminds me:
>
> Normally I mount via CLI and use mc or just the CLI on a CD (rpm or mv
> or ls, etc.). Just the other day I used the CD icon on the KDE desktop
> and konqueror opened with the contents of the CD. I looked at it and
> closed konqueror. Next time i tried to open the drive it did not. So I
> did an 'umount /mnt/cdrom' but it told me that the device was in use.
>
> I had to open Konqueror, change to a different directory and close
> Konqueror. Then I was able to open the drive.
>
> So Konqueror saves it's status somewhere when you close it. If you
> close it with the contents of a CD on display your CD remains 'in
> use'.
>
> wobo

That fits with my experience.  Also, if you panic and umount it from c/l you
tend to upset it.  Closing all, as you say, usually does it.  One variatioon
on your experience is that it may open and immediately close before you could
possibly remove the disk.  It then automatically mounts the disk again, and
you are back at square one until you've found what's bugging it.   I just
make sure everything's closed, now.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302