On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 02:02, James Sparenberg wrote:
> All,
>
>   Ok I'm hitting a wall here with close to 200,000 e-mails in evolution
> I'm at a point where I really need to be able to archive a ton of this
> off.  BUT I also need access to these without jumping through hoops.
> Any suggestions on how to do this?  To say the least evo's starting to
> get very very slow.  Any help will be very much appreciated.
>
> James

the mailboxes are just mbox files with an associated index. Copy the
mbox out of ~/evolution/local/[foldername]/ into an archived mail
directory, then delete the folder from Evolution. When you want to look
for one of the old mails, use grepmail. Here's a script that will
illustrate usage and dump the results back into a new mbox:
#!/bin/sh
# This is a wrapper to the grepmail Perl script which searches
mailboxes.
# The wrapper will take its regexp from the commandline, recursively
search
# a mail folder, then put the results into a new mailbox named
"results.$TERM".

# If no parameters, show proper usage and fail.
if [ $# -lt 1 ] ; then
        echo "Usage: grepmymail \"singleterm\""
        echo "Usage: grepmymail \"(1term|2terms|3terms)\""
        exit 2
fi

# the message was found in, -M skips MIME attachments, and -b searches
# bodies, not headers.
for TERM in $1; do
        grepmail -RmMb $TERM $HOME/mail > /tmp/results.$TERM
        mv /tmp/results.$TERM $HOME/mail/
done
--
Jack Coates