James,

    I have something like 2 GB of mails on my system and I am managing them via IMAP.
Evolution (but also Kmail, Mozilla, SquirrelMail, Outlook-on-W2000 etc, can all access those mails.

It was tricky with Evolution to discover which options where good to get good performances, but now I am very happy.

/Stefano