Guy Zelck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Will there ever be a KDE3.1 version released for 8.x?
>
> I only now can say that I've got my 8.1 system like I want it to be. In
> the mean time Mandrake raced versions, which in my view is crazy .
> It's becoming more and more difficult to have recent versions of
> programs. I find myself more and more rebuilding packages. A lot of
> packages (libs) change names between versions and taking a recent spec
> file to rebuild a package yourself is often hell as you have find out
> what you need from scratch and change all required package names in the
> spec.

Why change to a new program version in the first place if you are happy
using a old os version?  You would advocate That mandrake should build
packages for for all of their old versions? KDE 3.1 for v6 maybe?

> Even guys that started of with 9.0 now have to be club members to get
> kde3.1. This is a sad development. I see Mandrake more and more slip
> away from being a free os distributor. I understand they have
> difficulties so I payed for a regular membership  myself for 2 years in
> a row now. You get very little with this. But more and more the regular
> users are left out. This is very sad I find. I starts to stink for $s.

Cooker may be a choice for those who allways want the latest and
supposidly greatest.  Still free.

> So I'm afraid there's little chance to get rpms from Mandrake for 8.x.
> If there's no good soul in the community who put packages available I'm
> in for an ordeal to get kde3.1 compiled and packaged for 8.1.

Maybe you could build it?  I'm not saying mandrake shouldn't support old
versions, but the old distro did not ship with the intention of being
brought up the the latest level of every package.  My Explorer came with
a 5L V8, they now come with a 4.6L V8, should Ford provide me with a
upgrade path other than purchasing a new one?

--
Simon Rée                             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
              openPGP key : http://www.codeford.com/simonree.asc