On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 11:53, Steffen Barszus wrote:

> > All the distros release the source code.
> > I still think a show of community support could take that, and compile
> > processor specific versions...  ;)
>
> And I think that this would be nonsense. Maybe the kernel and Multimedia apps
> should be recompiled but thats it. How important is a athlon-xp optimized
> 'ls' ? What is so athlon-xp specific beside the special instruction sets ?
> Which app makes really use of it ? For ix86-64 it is totally understandable,
> but athlon-xp ?

naw d00d, it'd be so l33t!!! My ls can run .0000233344 nano-seconds
faster than yours on alternate Tuesdays!!!!

Of course, I don't want to actually have to recompile myself, it'd be
easier if someone else did it for me. After all, other people have so
much more time and equipment than me.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...