On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:04:51 -0500
"Tibbetts, Ric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Limit point releases to just minor revisions, and bug fixes. The content
> should be set at the Major level. And yes, we could argue all day about
> just what constitutes Major content, vs minor content, and that level of
> detail is really beyond the poing I was making.

Ric,

I had a misconception about this last week until Civileme set me straight.
Perhaps you have the same thinking I did, namely that I couldn't figure out
why this was called 9.1 instead of 10 with all the new stuff in it. I
thought that being a 9.1 release, it should include (more or less) only
bugfixes and regular updates, such as KDE 3.0.5 rather than 3.1.

But as it turns out, the phrases "point release" and "major release" have
nothing to do with features. _Every_ MDK release aims at including every
new gadget possible. The numbering system, instead, indicates the glibc
under which it was compiled and the kernel series.

So this is a major release, but it's numbered 9.1 because:

* 9.1 uses the same glibc as 9.0.
* The 9.1 binaries will be compatible with 9.0 systems, and
* It still uses kernel 2.4.x

Hope that helps. It made a big difference to me.

Miark