On Wednesday 26 Feb 2003 12:53 am, Ric Tibbetts wrote:
> > Mandrake releases X.0, X.1, X.2.  Then it jumps to Y.0, Y.1, Y.2.  It
> > has nothing to do with "point" releases or "version" releases.
> > Technically, they are ALL "version" releases.
>
> Which was exactly my point.

Seems to me there is logic in the MandrakeSoft model, but not the logic we
(and other users) expect.  This is, in fact, a big problem that needs to be
considered.  Whether Mdksft like it or not, people expect point releases to
be 'fixes' and version releases to be major.

It used to be said 'Never buy any software in a .0 release', but in this
context all Mandrake releases are .0 releases.  This keeps it at the bleeding
edge, but never quite as 'finished' as some users not only want, but need.

I don't have any answers.  Maybe being 'bleeding edge' is the USP of Mandrake.
I only know that business decisions like this are never simple, but it is
essential to keep in mind the perceptions of those outside the company.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302