On Wednesday 26 Feb 2003 12:27 pm, Greg Meyer wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 04:53 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Seems to me there is logic in the MandrakeSoft model, but not the logic
> > we (and other users) expect.  This is, in fact, a big problem that needs
> > to be considered.  Whether Mdksft like it or not, people expect point
> > releases to be 'fixes' and version releases to be major.
>
> The only logic that counts is the logic they use.  Same goes for definition
> of beta and rc.  Some people want it to be different than the Mandrake
> definition, but it is the Mandrake definition that counts.  Of course, once
> you understand what that is, it is easier to *take*.

I have no problem with it, myself, but from a marketing point of view it could
be a problem.

> > It used to be said 'Never buy any software in a .0 release', but in this
> > context all Mandrake releases are .0 releases.  This keeps it at the
> > bleeding edge, but never quite as 'finished' as some users not only want,
> > but need.
>
> Perhaps those users should use Debian than.

That may well be so.  For the 'absolute stability' need (I'm thinking of
business-critical situations)  I suspect Mandrake is only viable if they have
a really clued-up administrator.  I'm just thinking aloud, really, about the
issues of introducing linux into small businesses, where there may not be any
such clued-up person on staff, and no funds to hire one.

> > I don't have any answers.  Maybe being 'bleeding edge' is the USP of
> > Mandrake. I only know that business decisions like this are never simple,
> > but it is essential to keep in mind the perceptions of those outside the
> > company.
>
> I know many say perception is reality, but some must correct thier
> perceptions with reality.

As I said, I am thinking from the small business pov, which is where my
experience is.  A possible adopter would not know that Mandrake define things
differently from the 'norm' (ok - don't take me up on 'norm' - you know what
I mean).  I'm not trying to make destructive comment - far from it.  If we
could get round issues like this and get efficient affordable third-party
support for them, small business would benefit greatly from the increased
stability linux gives.  This is a fact - I spent a good part of my working
week sorting out problems on our windows machines.  The cost to the company,
then, was not negligible.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302