-------Original Message-------
From: flacycads <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 02/25/03 05:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Mandrake Out of Control?

<snip>
Anyone who dual boots with windows on the same hardware knows that windows

performance is noticably better than Linux, and that this is most likely
due
to the highly x86 optimized Intel compiler.

 Given that, it's going to be hard to convince me that trying to optimize
Linux and gcc for newer cpus is not worth the trouble. However, I'll keep
an
open mind on the subject, and I'm certainly not an expert.

Robert Crawford
<snip>

Robert,

I thought anything after Windows NT runs on Pentium and above (or K6 and above if you
use AMD).  If that's the case, then it's not anymore optimized than Mandrake, so any
increased performance on a Windows box is not do to optimization.

If you truly want to see what effect optimization may have for your system, recompile
the kernel and run some benchmarks (actually before and after).  Since everything else
runs on top of the kernel, it recompiling it should give the most bang for your buck.
I can tell you, though, that on my systems (K6-450 and Duron 1.3ghz), removing stuff
that's not used in the kernel has a bigger impact on performance than optimizing for
the  CPU (maybe it has something to do with AMD vs Intel, I don't know, but the chip
optimization seemed to have little impact).

Joeb