On Tuesday 25 February 2003 09:17 pm, Jack Coates wrote:
> Not to turn it into a WM flamewar, but are you using KDE or GNOME?
> Either fullblown environment can make the experience a lot slower in my
> experience.
>
> It's also possible and fun to throw Linux's performance down the stairs
> in ways that Windows simply won't do, such as pixmapped themes and
> running graphic programs in the root-window. Go easy on the eye-candy,
> get faster response.
>
> Last but not least, there are definitely issues with XFree86 that won't
> be going away. For one thing, X is a user space program and the Win32
> GDI is kernel space, ring 0, ever since NT 4.0. This is changing with
> DRI, but at the same cost of decreased stability which plagues NT video.
> Also, X's video card support tends to be a bit flaky in my experience,
> which is to say it's a crap-shoot if running a 3d program is going to
> produce software rendering, hardware rendering, static across the top
> 3rd of my screen, or a video card lockup (all of these have happened
> this week with a Voodoo3 and an i815). I don't think that XFree86 gets
> the same sort of attention that Windows drivers get, since driver
> debugging that goes past the point of "it works on the primary
> developer's machine" is not very fun.
>
> dos centavos,
> Jack
>
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 21:36, flacycads wrote:
> > OK- you're correct- I don't speak for everyone, and my choice of words
> > was unfortunate. Please accept my apology.
> >
> >  However, my experience on several dual boot boxes with different
> > versions of windows and Linux has always been that overall computer
> > performance is significantly better when booted to windows. I'm sorry,
> > but that's what happens- there's no question about it. Of course I do
> > have any windows installation I run highly tweaked and tuned to
> > perfection( as good as is possible), and perhaps I can tweak my Linux
> > installs a little more than I presently have.
> >
> > Robert Crawford

And don't forget the obvious

Office is like 95% loaded if you use windows... compare that to loading ALL of
OpenOffice.

So if you are comparing Windows performance in this area, try opening
OpenOffice on Desktop 2 and just ticking it on the taskbar,

Same for Konqueror/Mozilla/Phoenix/Opera vs MSIE

That is not to say there are not slower areas in linux.  Video drivers are a
problem (strange, Windows doesn't write video drivers), and of course the
overhead in maintaining decent security is there by design in linux.

My own results, on my own equipment, do not support your results, but then I
have machines with a LOT of memory which linux uses and Windows does not.

Civileme