On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 10:37, Greg Meyer wrote:
> I agree with you wholeheartedly, however the point I was trying to make was
> that as we all sit around here and discuss these things, very often we have
> that discussion based on what we think a particular term, like beta, rc or
> stability mean, without acknowledging the way MandrakeSoft means them.  I do
> not believe that we should not communicate with the company to try to get
> them to change their definition, or modify thier way of thinking.  Perhaps
> changing the way releases are numbered, so that common perception aligns with
> reality is the way to go, but as an alternative to your proposal, instead of
> changing the MandrakeSoft release philosophy, change the numbering so there
> are no longer any point releases.  10 and 11 vs 9.1 and 9.2.  Although this
> would align reality more with what peoples understandings of releases are, I
> acknowledge that it does not address your criticism about bug fixing.

I think this is the most reasonable course of action; it assuages
symptoms and concerns without imposing more stress on MandrakeSoft. That
way, instead of continually re-explaining that Mandrake doesn't follow
the convention of bleeding-edge in x.0, increasing stability in x.1,2,
Mandrake and its users can simply say "it's a different release
strategy." Date-based release name is certainly one good way to imply
this philosophy, but it has a few bad marketing implications. Code names
are fun, but people will probably gripe. Sticking with the ordinal
numbers and losing the decimals is probably the best option.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...