On Wednesday 26 February 2003 16:35, Aaron Matteson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 07:19, Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 26 Feb 2003 3:14 pm, Aaron Matteson wrote:
> >
> > > But the issues with
> > > Via are more pronounced.
> >

> > What sort of problems are you seeing, Aaron?
>
> Mainly stability issues, ranging from the IDE controller to the actual
> chipset. The most prevalent of the symptoms is data corruption.
>
> The good thing about Via is that they do perform a little better, but is
> it worth sacraficing stability for slightly faster?
>
> There are a lot of Via customers that have never had any problems, same
> old story with every other manufacture. I guess what i am trying to get
> at is buying Via is a little like russian roulette.

I guess you are right, but it depends a lot on the manufacturer with via
chipsets and on the particular chipset.

I for myself have a msi 6330 aka kt7pro2a with a kt133a /apollo super chipset.
I'm very happy with it and never ever had any problems. A friend of mine has
a epox 8kta3+ and he had in the meantime so many stability issues ... the
chipset is too a kt133a . I would stay away from kle133 and all the cheapy
chipsets from via. For sis I have seen the k7s5a Rev. 3.0 from Elitegroup (?)
and stability, installation and the overall-behavior was really crappy. The
rev 1.0 and 3.1 was told me to be fine. The asrock **T** was tested as slow
but stable. So for 60 EUR I wouldnt say this thing is bad. If I would have a
wish I would wish me a intel bx 440 mainboard for duron ;)

--
Regards
Steffen