On Wednesday 26 February 2003 01:02 am, Vahur Lokk wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 09:39, you wrote:
> > And don't forget the obvious
> >
> > Office is like 95% loaded if you use windows... compare that to loading
> > ALL of OpenOffice.
>
> Yes here is the point. Especially when low spec boxes come into play. Old
> Pentium running Win9x and MSO is absolutely viable office conf running well
> and fast. And such boxes are very much in use around here.
>
> Now try running Linux with OpenOffice on such a box. There is absolutely no
> way to achieve comparable perfomance, whatever distro, kernel, window
> manager you run.
>
> In fact, comparing GUI loading times does not matter for me - its usually
> once-a-day event. But if loading times of OOo and MSO differ in minutes not
> seconds it is a showstopper. And no good explanation helps. Also
> suggestions to use something else instead of OOo monster are completely
> useless.
>
> Wahur
As I said, if you want to compare apples to apples, load OO ONCE on desktop 2
and switch to it--that is what Windows is doing with MSO, or the nearest
achievable equivalent.

And if you want performance on a Pentium of that vintage, try running Mandrake
7.1 and having StarOffice 5.1 loaded on desktop 2 (Use the Autostart folder
to put it there).

Then you will have comparable performance except you can be doing more tasks
on Mandrake.

I amazed people at a local Computer Renaissance when loading a copy of
Mandrake for a business customer.  One of the CDs would not read on the
target machine (media vs drive error on a brand-new drive) so I used a
Mandrake Demonstrator there to burn a copy of the CD which would read.  While
burning, I was printing the user manual I had prepared and also showing
someone how to connect to the internet using the machine and MCC....  And
then I burned a copy of another CD (showing how backing up could be done).

The store techs were floored.  They had a hyped-up dual P4 running win2K
server and when they were burning they could not do anything else, and they
HAD to reset after burning or the next CD they burned would have only a
directory and no retrievable data.

Civileme