> Having several xmms-insances running at the same time (stress the
> soundcard a bit), and perform a kernel-compile:
> make -j 100 bzImage

That's pretty extreme... you might void the warranty :).

I just tried that, but reduced it to a -j 20 and closed mozilla out
because I have 256 megs of RAM - anyhow, the box felt really slow (I
have a 1 ghz Athlon). Surprisingly it stayed up and no segfaults, even
though the box is running setiathome and folding (protein synthesis)
and backing up /home at the same time.

Playing .mp3 really sounds strange on such a system - the words come
out every few seconds ;).

Did you check your box temperature during that, by chance? Is your box
overclocked?

I didn't but I'm not sure I trust sensors output on this mobo. It's
saying some voltages are too high and temp3 is 112 degrees C. I
certainly hope not :(.

Anyhow the only time my system (rearly 2 yrs old, run 24/7) crashed
due to overheating was one time I was doing a seek in a video CD with
an old rev of xine. I don't know how it caused it, but alarms started
going off...