On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:06:04 -0800 Jim C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The truth is that I do not much care for netstat because I feel that it
> is to much functionality crammed into one little command.  I've always
> felt that this is a poor way to manage complexity.

Even worse is trying to manage complexity without basic knowledge of the
underlying structure.

> Example of complexity cut from the much vaunted man pages:

> Now seriously, if you had seen this for the first (or even the fifth)
> time would you know exactly how to use it?  How long might it take
> someone to figure it out?  Doesn't it seem likely that the person in
> question might have something better to do?  This is where folks who get
>
> frustrated with answering questions should focus their ire.

Not if I didn't first understand IP, TCP and UDP at a minimum...

> I had earlier tried :
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# netstat -l | grep netbios
> tcp        0      0 *:netbios-ssn           *:*           LISTEN
  ^^^                                                       ^^^^^^
> udp        0      0 208.152.4.20:netbios-ns *:*
>
> udp        0      0 enigma.micro:netbios-ns *:*
>
> udp        0      0 *:netbios-ns            *:*
>
> udp        0      0 208.152.4.2:netbios-dgm *:*
>
> udp        0      0 enigma.micr:netbios-dgm *:*
>
> udp        0      0 *:netbios-dgm           *:*
  ^^^                                                       ^^^^^^

See the Description parts of "man tcp" and "man upd"

> This output could mean any number of things.  It could mean that I have
> active connections from 208.152.4.207 (eth0) as well as all three
> netbios ports open.  Probably that is what it means but frankly LISTEN
> on one line doesn't tell me much.  How am I to interpret it?  This is
> not expained in the much vaunted man pages.  Why is LISTEN on only one
> of the *:netbios lines?

man tcp

> Now here is an example of simple and easy to use:
>
> port 137 open
> port 138 open
> port 139 open

So simple we now have no idea if these ports are TCP, UDP, or [other
protocols omitted]...