This time Jim C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
becomes daring and writes:

>>   IMNSHO, if you don't understand IP,TCP, UDP, you have no business
>>   running a server of any kind, no matter what Microsoft may have told
>>   you.
>
> Gee, thanks for the flame. :-/

  It's not a flame, it's a statement of *my opinion*, nothing else.

> Why not?  We let people create human beings without training and there
> is far more risk involved.;-)

  And I firmly believe that people shouldn't be allowed to have
  children without extensive psychological and genetical testing...no
  license, no kids <shrug>

> Truth is that my knowledge about IP, TCP/UDP is adequate although I
> conceed the point that my experience in working directly with them
> is noteably lacking - I still get my terminology wrong, forget to
> mention things etc.  I've installed a couple of firewalls, networks,
> a beowulf cluster and a MOSIX cluster but I had other tools at my
> disposal then.

  I am not a networking guru...hell, half the terminology I use is
  wrong (but I can blame that on the fact that english is not my
  native language :) but I do have plenty of empirical knowledge,
  acquired from all the people I've worked with during the last 15
  years or so. I don't advocate for a MSCE-like test for computer
  users...theoretical tests don't mean a thing, IMNSHO...but let's
  start giving out practical tests to everybody before allowing them
  to use a computer unsupervised...that'd be paradise :)

  Vox

--
Think of the Linux community as a niche economy isolated by its beliefs.  Kind
of like the Amish, except that our religion requires us to use _higher_