On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 11:31, Tibor Pittich wrote:
> On 07. mar 2003, 11:24, Jack Coates wrote:
>
> > How can I increase the amount of tmpfs space in /tmp?
>
> check your kernel documentation:
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt

> tmpfs has a couple of mount options:
>
> size:      The limit of allocated bytes for this tmpfs instance. The
>            default is half of your physical RAM without swap. If you
>            oversize your tmpfs instances the machine will deadlock
>            since the OOM handler will not be able to free that memory.
>
> this parameter you can use with mount command, or add into fstab
> where is defined /tmp mountpoint

Hm. I have issues with the idea of deadlocking because I used too much
memory, and tmpfs mounting as /tmp looks like a good idea (though still
voodoo -- I'm actually just annoyed by it because I once downloaded some
Solaris upgrade packages into /tmp and had them deleted by a reboot :-)

There might be something I can do in VMware with host reserved memory,
or I'll look at reducing Win2K's memory footprint some more.

thanks,
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...