> I have a computer with only 128MB ram, it chuggs along very slowly in X
> Windows. in fstab there is a /tmp tempfs ramdisk, I commented it out so

I've not looked at tmpfs. My guess is that if /tmp is empty, or has
little in it, there really shouldn't be half (which is the default) of
the RAM allocated to it. Even though that's tunable, that you don't
notice any difference using HD for /tmp makes me think that it wasn't
using up a lot of RAM in the first place.

On such a system you might try using a lightweight window manager
rather than the default KDE or Gnome, both of which are
memory-intensive.