On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 21:58, David E. Fox wrote:
> > Q: what's the difference between doing it with a cooker directory and a
> > release directory?
> > A: Someone at MandrakeSoft changed the label from cooker to release.
> > Hint: they didn't tell urpmi about that.
>
> Hmm. An interesting approach, but it's dependent on timing. If one
> would updagte to cooker ASAP after ann announcement of rc2 or what
> have you, then essentially it's the same thing; but it would seem that
> cooker is always a moving target, whereas a 'reference' rc2 source
> would be a static snapshot of rc2.
>

> > Upgrading the whole distribution with urpmi isn't like apt-get
> > dist-upgrade yet -- I think you'd have to use force quite a few times,
>
> I figure that might be the case. Many people (especially on svlug.org,
> the Silicon Valley Linux User Group site) seem to be very pro-debian,
> and tout apt-get.

(You wouldn't be talking about Rick Moen here would you *grin* )

> I for noe have been interested in Debian for that
> very reason, but haven't taken the Plunge to that distribution. Debian
> is of course a different philosophy than Mandrake, and is probably a
> more ''centralized'' distro. That is fine and dandy if you're
> upgrading from Mandrake sites so it's not really an issue. But,
> dependencies, incompatibilities are. Also, how would you know about
> packages you should install which weren't already installed?

> I'm speaking mostly from conjecture, to be sure, since I've never seen
> a real (i.e., Debian) apt-get session in action. The attempts I've
> tried with a Mandrake version of the tool have been mostly not very
> productive. (not in getting the tool per se, but in using it
> effectively)
>
> So, urpmi is the next best thing. My efforts with that have been
> mostly successful thus far -- especially with 9.1 - as soon as it
> downed on me how to really use it effectively.
>
> > it'd go fairly smoothly if you did glibc and gcc first, then tried to do
> > the rest of the distribution though.
>
> Year, and then try to avoid conflicts and dependency issues.

The problems I can see are.

1.  Space... pulling down roughly the equivalent of your install into
/var might be a problem.
2.  Ram... It would seem that it would have to be holding a lot of info
in Ram as to what to do and in what order.

As urpmi exists.... I wouldn't think it would work.  I've seen the
distro upgrade done on debian.. If you aren't too far out of date it
works .... eventually.  But if you are way out of date it has a real
chance of creating an unusable box.  One other diff I believe exists (as
it's been explained to me) apt-get grabs .... installs... grabs... using
less ram and less disk.  URPMI grabs and grabs then installs.  For a
really large installation size this could be a problem.

James