Maybe the most important setting for me in smb.conf is the
security setting

Setting this to share use to solve  the problem with problem with win2k
machines not being able to mount network drives.

try to add security = share

Vennlig Hilsen
Torstein Hernes Dybdahl
Haldensgate 21
7014 Trondheim
NORWAY
Stud. Tech. ved Elektroteknikk og Telekommunikasjon, NTNU