On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 15:44, richard bown wrote:

> Now I'm confused :(
>
> The windows box only has 2 users, both have a null string as a password,
> ie I login as "richard" with a blank password.
> When I login to this box as a user "richard" and the password is
> "richard".
> I dont think linux likes null strings as passwords.

On the Linux machine you'll need to create equivalent samba users with:

  smbadduser richard:richard
  It will prompt for a password. Just press Enter to disable the
passwords.

> But surely the login is the icing on the cake, I would expect with both
> smbd and nmbd running, for windows to at least show this box in its
> network neighbourhood,, it only shows its self "WINBLOWS" in MDKGROUP.
> There are 4 interfaces on this box as far as the firewall is concerned
> 1 the public interface,, heavily protected
> 2 a slip link internal to the machine ...trusted
> 3 local.. again trusted
> 4 lan pretty open

OK, to verify that it's not a firewall issue, do the following:

On the Linux machine, login as the 'richard' user. Then type:
  smbclient //FW-GB7TF/public -U richard

You should be prompted for a password. Press Enter for a null password
or Enter the password if it's not null. When the SMB prompt appears,
type 'dir'. You should get a listing of the local Samba share on the
Linux machine.

If you can't do this it tells us that something is wrong with the Samba
configuration. BTW, the FW-GB7TF name is from the config file that you
posted. Normally you'd change this to something more friendly. Please
also verify that you are indeed exporting a /public share with:

  smbclient -U richard -L localhost

Look for the appropriate entries in the Sharename column.

If you can browse the share, go over to the Windows machine. In the
START|RUN dialog, type //FW-GB7TF/public. If you don't get anything then
it's almost certainly a firewall issue.