On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 20:33, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > # Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
> > root = administrator admin
> > nobody = guest pcguest smbguest
> >

> It looks as though your windows users don't have accounts on your box?  They
> need a user account, with password and username exactly matching their
> windows logon, and a samba user account, again with an exact match in
> username and password.
>
> I presume they also have MDKGROUP as their workgroup, remembering case
> sensitivity?...yes they do
>
> Anne

Now I'm confused :(

The windows box only has 2 users, both have a null string as a password,
ie I login as "richard" with a blank password.
When I login to this box as a user "richard" and the password is
"richard".
I dont think linux likes null strings as passwords.

But surely the login is the icing on the cake, I would expect with both
smbd and nmbd running, for windows to at least show this box in its
network neighbourhood,, it only shows its self "WINBLOWS" in MDKGROUP.
There are 4 interfaces on this box as far as the firewall is concerned
1 the public interface,, heavily protected
2 a slip link internal to the machine ...trusted
3 local.. again trusted
4 lan pretty open
the windows box is on the latter.
I'm not seeing either smb,nmb or cups broadcasts on the lan interface,
but the firewall log show cups broadcast being dropped on the public
interface...stops the world using my printer :))

route -en shows 44.131.90.0 netmask 255,255.254.0 to the lan interface,
and the routing to that subnet is working.
However, as per my earlier mail when smbd and nmbd are restarted I see a
log message
 "samba is now logon server for workgroup MDKGROUP on subnet
44.131.90.129"

thats the address on the internal LAN for this machine, subnet
255.255.255.255

I've missed something fundamental, but I cant see it

TIA

Richard
--
richard bown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>