On Monday 31 Mar 2003 11:33 pm, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 15:44, richard bown wrote:
> > Now I'm confused :(
> >
> > The windows box only has 2 users, both have a null string as a password,
> > ie I login as "richard" with a blank password.
> > When I login to this box as a user "richard" and the password is
> > "richard".
> > I dont think linux likes null strings as passwords.
>
> On the Linux machine you'll need to create equivalent samba users with:
>
>   smbadduser richard:richard
>   It will prompt for a password. Just press Enter to disable the
> passwords.

I have only ever once added one user with a null password, and it never
worked.  I don't think samba does like null passwords - though it's possible
that there is a minimum length for passwords set somewhere.  To eliminate
this as a suspect, could you set one of the windows machine with a password,
match it on linux and samba and see if it appears?

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302