Anne,

I personally prefer mbox format for the same reason that you mentioned.
If needed, I can easily use mutt,pine or even mail to read mail.  You
do not always have the option of reading mail with a graphical inter-
face.
It is true that maildir (at least for the most part) keeps mail in
standard mail folders.  If you use mbox format you do not have the
ability to have sub folders.
I come from the old UNIX days where you have a directory in you home
called Mail and mail folders inside the Mail directory.  Almost every
text (mutt,pine,elm..) uses the Mail directory to search for folders
by default.

But as somebody pointed out this is a personal choice and either one
is a good way to go it really depend on what really works best for
the individual.

I have been using Evolution at home and it uses maildir, it is not as
straight forward as the Mail directory approach, but I did find that
each sub folder does actually contain an mbox file which is standard
mbox format.

At work I use mbox with standard (Mail directory) because it is much
easier for me to use IMAP, and if I need to ssh into my machine from
home I can use mutt to read my mail and it is much easier to change
and move between mail folders.

Mike

--
Michael Noble