Praedor Tempus wrote:

I recently picked up an Athlon XP2700+ to replace my
Duron 1100.  The switch went fine except my [EMAIL PROTECTED] mobo
apparently doesn't support anything greater than an
XP1500+.  It is an MSI KT333 ultra and the manual says
it can do a 200MHz FSB, etc, which would support the
chip but...in any case, this is true, it seems, only
with windoze when using a special MSI-supplied
application for "overclocking".

After changing cpu from the Duron, FSB=100, you will need to change the FSB for the Athlon XP2700+ to FSB=133, this will set the correct speed for the processor.

Not sure why the system would not boot into your ML OS. You may have to rescue boot and insure that the fstb is correct and the sound system

Larry

I downloaded the latest bios upgrade for this mobo
thinking/hoping it would add support for XP2000 and
higher chips but. After upgrading the bios, Windoze
ME still fires up just fine but Linux is hosed. I can
boot up in failsafe mode and from there start up
graphics and networking just fine as root. If I try
to login from failsafe as a user, if fails to start
XFree. This isn't the main problem at this point,
however. The primary problem is if I try to startup
linux via a normal kernel and graphical startup, I get
a screen full of error messages having to do with
"unable to touch /var/lock/subsys/<whatever> no such
file or directory" and I also get an error message
about being unable to mount most of my partitions
because their /dev/hd* entries do not exist. Ultimately, the bootup fails when the system gets to
the point of trying to start the system logger, at
which point it just sits for a long time and then the
screen goes blank and that's it.
Why would I be able to start up just fine, graphics
and all, all my partitions, all my /var/lock/...
files, etc, from failsafe all the way to graphics (but
only for root) but not be able to do the same from a
normal bootup? How do I go about fixing this?
Since I can get in as root via failsafe I am not yet
ready to try reinstalling and feel that the system
MUST be salvagable, but where to start? And why would
a bios upgrade do this in such an odd manner,
affecting only the graphical bootup but leaving the
failsafe bootup (to graphics) intact?

praedor