On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 05:27, stefmit wrote:
> I am making one last attempt with the great hope that someone, somewhere has
> figured this libraries issue out. Almost any program coming with libraries
> slightly different version than MDK ones fails to install, regardless of what
> I attempt to do. Last example is qtopia's RPM, which I NEED like air, for my
> Zaurus, but which install (unlike 9.0) breaks now in MDK9.1, with the
> following message:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] utilities]# urpmi qtopia-desktop-1.6.1-1.i386.rpm
> installing qtopia-desktop-1.6.1-1.i386.rpm
>
> Installation failed:
>         libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 is needed by qtopia-desktop-1.6.1-1
>
> I have tried everything one can imagine, in regards to previously posted
> advices, from creating symlinks to existing libs, to modifying
> /etc/ld.so.conf, to rerunning ldconfig ... etc. I almost envy winblows users
> now, who can install multiple versions of dll-s in the directories of the
> executables, and they run programs fine. I have been trying to keep the
> system "urpmi database" friendly, but this way I won't be able to install
> different libraries, as installing the ones I need, from source, would
> probably have undesired effects.
>
> What are you - people - doing with the programs requiring different libraries
> than what MDK provides? Or are you using only MDK packaged programs?

I usually build from source rpm failing that source code.  The problem
you are having is because libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 is a pretty old
program and the developer that did qtopia hasn't provided a newer
product. egcs-c++ provided it on 9.0 but supposedly the src rpm won't
build on 9.1.  Now yes it (qtopia) could be repackaged with this lib
included.  OR you can do this, find it on another box.  Then ftp it down
and move it to /usr/local/lib/mylibs/.  (make sure you get all symlinks
etc so that it looks just like it did on it's originating box.  Then
edit ld.so.conf and add the line (at the very end)

/usr/local/lib/mylibs

then re-run ldconfig   At this point this lib should now be available to
your box.  NOTE  Don't ever do this with glibc libs.  All kinds of funky
things happen if you do... none of them are good.

James